Viewing Options

Monday, November 15, 2010

Eight Verses For Training The Mind

During times of reflection, I often find it comforting to listen to or read the words of his holiness the Dalai Lama.  I had purchased several discs in the late 90s that contained readings of his works, most notably "The Path to Tranquility", which is narrated by Robert Thurman, B.D. Wong and Laurie Anderson.  I have since listened to these discs probably a hundred times or more.  The narration couldn't be more perfect.  The readers each have a wonderful energy that breathes life into the words.  Every time I listen, I learn something new.

There is a portion on one of the discs that explores the Dalai Lama's Eight Verses for Training the Mind.  Reflecting on these and putting them into practice has brought me much peace over the years, along with a greater understanding of what it means to be in human form on a plane of suffering... Sansara or Maya.  Often this cycle of birth, suffering and rebirth can be overwhelming.  Words like the ones below help to give me perspective and comfort.



With a determination to achieve the highest aim
For the benefit of all sentient beings
Which surpasses even the wish-fulfilling gem,
May I hold them dear at all times.

Whenever I interact with someone,
May I view myself as the lowest amongst all,
And, from the very depths of my heart,
Respectfully hold others as superior.

In all my deeds may I probe into my mind,
And as soon as mental and emotional afflictions arise-
As they endanger myself and others-
May I strongly confront them and avert them.

When I see beings of unpleasant character
Oppressed by strong negativity and suffering,
May I hold them dear-for they are rare to find-
As if I have discovered a jewel treasure!

When others, out of jealousy
Treat me wrongly with abuse, slander, and scorn,
May I take upon myself the defeat
And offer to others the victory.

When someone whom I have helped,
Or in whom I have placed great hopes,
Mistreats me in extremely hurtful ways,
May I regard him still as my precious teacher.

In brief, may I offer benefit and joy
To all my mothers, both directly and indirectly,
May I quietly take upon myself
All hurts and pains of my mothers.

May all this remain undefiled
By the stains of the eight mundane concerns;
And may I, recognizing all things as illusion,
Devoid of clinging, be released from bondage.



Further analysis of the eight verses can be found on his website, DalaiLama.com.  My deepest thanks go to him for sharing his wisdom with the world.  Such teachings can help to bring about a whole new era in the human experience.

No comments: